Release notes for the latest version

Some things you may or may not have noticed in this redesign:

  • I’ve tried to make the overall look of this site a little less cluttered in appearance, hopefully without sacrificing usability in the process. (Example: Individual entries no longer have entry titles displayed, instead just displaying an entry’s timestamp—I got tired of trying to come up with original titles.)
  • Because of the first point, I had to go back and edit some of the entries’ text so that the text for an entry was no longer dependent on the entry’s title. Not difficult, but a bit tedious.
  • I’ve “downgraded” the standards compliance of all the pages from XHTML 1.0 Transitional to HTML 4.01 Transitional. Reason: There was nothing to gain by moving to XHTML at this point in time other than to say I did it. Of course, unless you’ve actually viewed the source for any of these pages lately, I doubt you even noticed the change. [Update (Nov 11, 2003): Scratch that, it’s all back to XHTML 1.0 Transitional. Don’t ask.]
  • Internet Explorer 5.x apparently didn’t like the way I originally implemented print stylesheets for this redesign, so for now, I’m forsaking their use. (This flaw in IE didn’t show up until I did some additional testing from an older box at home last night.) I think I’ve come up with a workaround, but I probably won’t be able to test it out til sometime this weekend. Again, doubt anyone even noticed. [Update (Nov 11, 2003): Workaround worked; all is well again.]

Regardless, hope I didn’t break anything—but please let me know if I did.